The Majestic theatre opened its doors on April 21, 1921 as a vaudeville theatre. It was built by impresario Karl Hoblitzelle and designed by John Eberson, one of the foremost designers of theatres in the early 20th Century. Hoblitzelle's Interstate Amusement Company built and operated vaudeville theatres in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas.As the vaudeville era came to an end in the 1930s, Hoblitzelle began to present movies in his theatres. The Majestic hosted flm premieres with big stars in attendance, including Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, John Wayne, Audy Murphy and many others. The Majestic screened its last film in 1973 and the theater went dark. The Hoblitzelle Foundation gifted the Majestic to the City of Dallas in January 1976. After major restoration, the Theatre reopened on January 28, 1983 as a performing arts venue.