1461 Schoenersville Rd Bethlehem PA United States 18018
The Burnside Plantation is a 6.5acre plantation in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. It is also known as the James Burnside Plantation and Lerch Farm. The plantation is located southeast of the intersection with Eaton Road, on Schoenersville Road.HistoryJames Burnside bought a 500acre tract of land from John Stephen Benezet in 1748. Burnside sold a group of Moravians in 1751. In 1758, Burnside's widow sold the remaining to the Moravian Church. The Church leased the plantation to individual farmers from 1765 to 1845. The plantation was sold to Charles A. Luckenbach, who sold it to William Lerch in 1853. It stayed in the Lerch family until 1928, when it sold and was divided between the Hafleighs and the Birks. Lehigh County bought the plantation in 1986 and leased it into a private corporation "to restore, develop, and manage as a living and natural history resource". It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 1990. The museum is an affiliate within the Smithsonian Affiliations program.