321 Wyandotte St Bethlehem PA United States 18015
The Cathedral Church of the Nativity is an Episcopal cathedral in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States. It is the seat of the Diocese of Bethlehem. In 1988 it was listed as a contributing property in the Fountain Hill Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.HistoryThe first services of the Episcopal Church were occasionally celebrated in Bethlehem beginning in 1854. The following year they became more regular and were celebrated more frequently. From 1860 to 1862 lay leaders led worship in their homes. In 1863 construction began on the parish's first church building. It was completed the following year with the first services celebrated on Christmas Day. New York architect Edward Tuckerman Potter designed the church in the Gothic Revival style. A church school was also established in the North Pennsylvania Railroad station in 1864. St. Mary's Chapel was built in 1875 and St. Joseph Chapel in 1884. The present church took form when it was completed in 1887. Architect E.M. Burns incorporated the original building as a transept. The debt was paid off by the following year and it was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Nelson Somerville Rulison. The vestry voted to allow the church to become a pro-cathedral in 1890 and ten years later it was raised to a cathedral.