In 1880, before Roseville became a city, there was a man by the name of Macintyre who carved headstone and repaired wagons. He received his granite by rail from the historical Griffith granite quarry in Penryn, CA. Macintyre retired in 1921 when Billy Deshay took over. No longer repairing wagons, Deshay continued to carve headstones until 1953. Charles Lutz who became the third owner came from a long line of stone carvers. He continued producing monuments until 1985.
Charles had plans to close the monument company, destroy the building and sell the property until he met Gene Chapman. After seeing first hand Gene's natural artistic ability, Charles retired and Gene Chapman took over.
Since 1985, with the help of key personnel including parents and various family members, Chapman Monument Co. has produced more than just headstones. Civic memorials, National monuments, public and private art projects are just some examples of Gene's capabilities.