The Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies serves as the focal point at the University of California at Berkeley for students and faculty who conduct research and teaching on the geographic region of the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. Currently the Institute has 45 core UCB faculty members and over 150 affiliated graduate students.
The original Center for Slavic and East European Studies was founded at Berkeley in 1957. In 1988, the Slavic Center became part of International and Area Studies (IAS). The Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ISEEES) was established in August 2000 and is the administering unit of the Berkeley Program in Eurasian and East European Studies (BPS), the Program in Armenian Studies, the Hertelendy Graduate Fellowship in Hungarian Studies, and the Peter N. Kujachich Endowment in Serbian and Montenegrin Studies.
ISEEES is the US Department of Education Title VI National Resource Center for Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia at Berkeley. Title VI funding allows ISEEES to support less commonly taught languages at Berkeley and to offer an active program of outreach.