The Methodist vision started in 1924 with a group of Methodist ministers and civic leaders devoted to bringing quality health care to the growing city of Dallas. With the support of the Methodist Church, local congregations, and other donors, our founders built Dallas Methodist Hospital, a 100-bed facility south of the Trinity River, overlooking downtown Dallas, which opened in 1927.After persevering through the early years and the Great Depression, Dallas Methodist Hospital began to truly thrive and expand in the 1940s and 1950s. In 1951 a three-story student nurse's residence was constructed near the hospital and in 1966 the Martin and Charlotte Weiss Educational Building opened, providing classroom space for nursing education and a large auditorium for community programs. By the 1960s, Dallas Methodist Hospital had grown to include 420 beds, more than four times our original size.Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Methodist Hospitals of Dallas continued to grow. In 1975 Charlton Methodist Hospital opened its doors to serve the growing communities of southwest Dallas County. This dedication to the community was further evidenced in 1985 when Methodist's board of directors made the decision to remain a viable entity in southern Dallas County. The board rededicated itself to the Oak Cliff community and its people and initiated a $100 million building program. As a result Methodist Charlton and Methodist Dallas Medical Centers continue to grow alongside the communities they have served for so long.Charlton Medical Center.Opening in 2014, the new six-story, 248,000-square-foot Charles A. Sammons Trauma and Critical Care Tower will allow us to provide an advanced level of care to nearly 90,000 patients a year. With our new facility only seconds from downtown and ready to serve at a moment’s notice, the heart of North Texas is destined to beat stronger than ever.