2710 N Water St Decatur IL United States 62526
St. Teresa High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Decatur, Illinois. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield in Illinois.HistorySt. Teresa was established in 1866 as Academy of St. Teresa by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. In 1868 the Ursuline Sisters took over the responsibility of operating the school. St. Teresa was originally located on the 400 block of East Eldorado Street, until 1913, when it was moved to its current location and designated as an all-girls boarding school.In 1930, due to increases in student enrollment, the Ursuline Sisters petitioned Bishop Griffin for an expansion of the academy. Bishop Griffin fulfilled their request, and in return the nuns were asked to build a co-ed building. After the transition into a co-educational institution, the school was renamed as St. Teresa High School and Sister Loretto Boland was appointed as the first principal. In 1955, as enrollment further increased, eight classrooms and a gymnasium were built and dedicated to Bishop O'ConnorIn 1996, the Ursuline Sisters withdrew their sponsorship of the school and a not-for-profit corporation was formed to assume ownership and control of St. Teresa High School.In 2015, a new athletic wing was built, containing new locker rooms and an exercise/weight lifting room. Its construction was possible by donations and had its first use in the 2015-2016 school year.