1116 Church St Galveston TX United States 77550
The James S. Waters House was built in 1893 for Mr. James Stephen Waters and his wife Violet Hinkle Waters. The first and largest portion of the home was designed by the English Architect Henry Collier Cooke. After purchasing the carriage house and lot that sit directly East of the home, Mr. Waters extended the main home in 1899 to include modern electricity / gas utilities, a library and ornate birthing room. It is rumored through the family that the home housed one of the first electrically lit Christmas Trees in Texas. The library also had modern electrical track lighting around the perimeter of the custom tin ceiling. Until June of 2014, the home has remained in the hands of the Waters Family. Mrs. Violet Hinkle Waters called this Victorian charm her home for over 60 years before passing it on to her son, William, and daughter~in~law, Haydee. Mrs. Haydee D. Waters lived here for more than 70 years, to the age of 95, before she moved due to Hurricane Ike in 2008. Mrs. Haydee D. Waters passed away November 2015.