234 S Main St Middletown CT United States 06457
The Wilcox, Crittenden Mill, also known as Wilcox, Crittenden Mill Historic District, is a 17acre property in Middletown, Connecticut that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. It was the location of the Wilcox, Crittenden company, a marine hardware firm. The historic district listing included four contributing buildings and three other contributing sites.BuildingsThe mill complex consists of four surviving mill buildings, built between 1814 and 1917, and foundational remnants of others, as well as two brownstone dams. Mill A, built in 1814 to house weaving operations, was converted into an office when larger facilities were built. Mill B, located to its north, is 247ft long, and was built between 1901 and 1912. Mill C is a concrete block structure built in 1907, and is 350ft long. Mill D stands across the ravine of Pamachea Creek from Mill C, and is the youngest of the four buildings.Relationship to surroundingsThis building is sited on the north bank of Pameacha Creek. It is located in a commercial and industrial area and faces the busy intersection of Warwick and South Main Streets. Nearby are related, later factory buildings. A modern solar-energized bank is located across the intersection to the west.