We are a local grassroots organization, based out of Will County, Illinois. We are known for promoting progressive candidates, values, and issues. The Will County Progressives stand up for many liberal causes, and are working to create community awareness of the issues facing our citizens. We have a specific issues platform and a shared vision of what we want for our community and country.
Will County Progressive Platform
1. We support access to adequate affordable education from early childhood through college.
2. We support the fight against climate change. We oppose fracking and support solar technology and other renewable sources of energy. We support stronger environmental protections and regulations. We also support job placement and training for green energy jobs.
3. We support the demilitarization of local law enforcement and believe that police departments should reflect the diversity of the communities they protect and serve. We support ending private prisons, prison occupancy rate incentives, and the culture of mass incarceration. America has 5% of the world’s population, and we have 25% of the world's prison population.
4. Health care is a human right and should cover everyone. Coverage must include prescriptions, mental health care, vision care, dental care, and any additional medical care necessary for the overall physical and mental well being of the patient.
5. We support equal opportunities for minorities, members of the LGBT community, and those safely practicing their personal faith. Everyone deserves equal opportunity to housing, employment, income, public facilities, and access to any place or business, generally open to the public. Every American should be free from discrimination, harassment, sabotage, or obstruction regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, or faith.
6. We support automatic voter registration and securing voting rights for all Americans. We believe it is the obligation of our government to promote voter turnout and educating the electorate about the issues.
7. We support a constitutional amendment overturning the disastrous Citizens United Supreme Court ruling and fixing our corrupt campaign finance system.
8. We support ending the congress-to-lobbyist revolving door which exploits the law for personal and corporate benefit by allowing corrupt politicians to be rewarded with large corporate salaries after leaving office.
9. We believe working forty hours per week should provide a living wage for all Americans. We support a $15 per hour minimum wage. We also proudly support workers' rights to organize.
10. We support simplified, progressive tax policies and ending the culture corporate welfare.
11. We oppose the Trans Pacific Partnership (also known as TPP). In the TPP, only SIX of the thirty chapters are about trade, Twenty-four chapters give special rights to corporations. It will kill jobs, raises drug costs, corporate profits are prioritized over environmental protection, corporate tribunals can overturn legislation, and the TPP has no expiration date or escape clause.
13. We support reinvesting in our infrastructure. This will create jobs by building and repairing roads and bridges, investing and expanding public transit options, and insuring public works systems are updated and safe.
14. We support investing in technology to keep our nation competitive and to cultivate new talent and fresh ideas for the future.
15. We support ending our current wars and history of US military occupations. We oppose 59% of our GDP going to the military industrial complex. We support a reallocation of military funding to provide higher wages for service members. We support expanded care and services for our returning veterans, whose suicide rate is on average 22 per day.
16. We support the DREAM Act, which allows the opportunity of citizenship for undocumented immigrants who were brought to the US as children. We also support a sensible path to citizenship for non-violent, undocumented immigrants and their families.
17. We support universal background checks for both public and private firearm sales. We support banning the production of high capacity magazines and banning internet firearm and ammunition purchases.
18. We support protecting the 1st amendment guaranteeing ones right of free speech and freedom of the press, the right to petition and peacefully protest the government, and the right to exercise your chosen religion. We support the separation of church and state.
19. We support sexual education in our public school and easy access to contraception. We support access to safe and affordable abortion services. We support Protect Planned Parenthood and similar women's health organizations.
20. We support public access to a free and open internet. In this age of technology, the internet is no longer a "luxury" amenity; it is a utility and a necessary part of how society operates. The internet is critical medium for nearly all forms of formal education, business, government programs, and how many services are provided. An Internet Service Provider (ISP) should not be barred from any geographical area due to exclusivity deals made by local and state governments. Local government bodies must stop creating local monopolies limiting consumers ability to obtain reliable, quality internet services
21. We support ending the failed war on drugs and offering treatment for drug addiction instead of incarceration. We also support the legalization, regulation, and taxation of cannabis to provide more funding for our already underfunded school system.