Built in 1948, Winslow's remains the last of four eateries constructed and operated by Beecher Winslow, a butcher from Corinth, NY. He opened the doors of his first business called Lola's along Rt. 9N in Greenfield, NY, about six miles north of Saratoga Springs. It was a small tap room that also sold sandwiches and meats. When that burned to the ground in the 1930's he built a larger tavern right next door called the Greenfield Village Inn complete with stay over cabins. It featured food, drink, dancing and several games. He operated into the forties before he eventually sold out and moved to Wilton, where he built another tap room and successfully operated for himself. He called it The Pine Inn. It was located along Route 9 just six miles north of Saratoga Springs. At some point Beecher leased the business to Don Stafford and his wife who operated it for several years as a top-notch upscale eatery with white linens and polished service people. While doing this beecher again decided to enter into another venture. Only moving one half mile south of The Pine Inn, he constructed his last place of business. Winslow's started out in 1948 as a gas station, grocery store and tap room with a limited selection of sandwiches. In those days Route 9 was thriving with many sole proprietorships and travelers. It was the area's busiest highway. Winslow's soon became a favorite spot for Wilton's small community. Eventually the gas station was omitted and the grocery store faded out. The sandwiches, dinners, liquor and cold beer became the staple business. The building itself boasted what was at the time, the longest bar in the area, 47 feet. There were several tables, a juke box, a 20 foot wooden bowling machine and a pool table. The fireplace and mantle Beecher built is still used every winter. The place was always friendly, warm and homey. It appealed to everyone who came in. Beecher also excavated and irrigated a small pond to the left of the restaurant along with a fish hatchery where he raised thousands of trout for a hobby. On the right side of the restaurant he built a small four unit motel that operated into the early nineties. Beecher engaged Katie Richardson to help him operate the eatery and bar. She cooked, waited on patrons and tended bar, becoming very adept and after a few years left Winslow's to buy The Pine Inn from Beecher. She enjoyed great success for many years. Beecher replaced Katie with Tessie Clute, who was actually Katie's sister. Tessie learned everything from Beecher and soon began running things and making great additions and changes to the place. She dearly loved the business and people loved her.
In 1960, Tessie and her husband Harold purchased Winslow's from Beecher who remained on the property, living in a trailer until his death at age 94. They labored day and night greeting and serving locals and travelers' food, drink and plenty of conversation with a smile. Tessie purchased fresh turkeys from "Pepper's Turkey Farm," located a mile down the road. She sold hot turkey sandwiches, cold club sandwiches and a few other items. Soon many Saratogians began to stop in. Dinners then began to appear on the menu and Tessie and Harold's daughter Terry began making delicious desserts. The cream pies, cakes and cheesecake became favorites. She also waited on customers and helped do anything needed to operate the business. Eventually the menu developed into more items such as steaks, pasta, ham and turkey. The pool table and games were taken out to add more tables. Little by little word of mouth spread and began to attract the summer racing crowd. The turkey dinners and sandwiches were becoming very well known as a favorite choice for people from all over. In 1983, Harold and Tessie had a severe auto accident that left them in very serious condition on the first day of their vacation. The restaurant remained closed for about a year. In 1984, the oldest grandson, Jeffrey returned to the restaurant to help get them started again. Jeff is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and had worked in many local and distant restaurants. He has added a few new ideas to compliment his grandmother's success. They worked together for about five years before Jeff purchased the restaurant in 1989. Tessie remained at the heart of the place for another fourteen years and now still comes periodically to help when needed. She is 84 and loves the restaurant still. Jeff has made a commitment to maintain the same principles his grandmother instilled in him. Do your best at all times and make everything from your heart. We hope you enjoy your visit here at Winslow's and feel free to come into the kitchen and introduce yourself. I would love to say "Hi."