Albuquerque NM United States 87106
Hodgin Hall, previously known at various times as the University Building, Main Building, or Administration Building, is a historic building on the University of New Mexico campus in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Completed in 1892, it was the first building constructed on the UNM campus and the university's only building for almost a decade. The building was originally designed by Jesse Wheelock in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, but structural problems with the building's roof gave university president William Tight the opportunity to have it remodeled in his preferred Pueblo Revival style in 1908.The remodeled building features stepped, asymmetrical massing, stuccoed walls, vigas, and other details characteristic of traditional Pueblo and mission architecture. As one of the first Pueblo Revival buildings in New Mexico, Hodgin Hall helped to establish the style both at the university and regionally. The building was slated for demolition in the 1970s but was preserved and restored through an alumni fundraising effort. Since 1983, it has housed the university's Alumni Association and Alumni Relations offices. Hodgin Hall is listed in both New Mexico State Register of Cultural Properties and the National Register of Historic Places.HistoryOriginal buildingThe University of New Mexico was established in February 1889 by an act of the territorial legislature, which specified that the campus would be located on high ground north of Railroad Avenue. Later that year, a remote plot of land on the East Mesa was acquired for that purpose. The newly assembled board of regents then set about planning the university's first building, which was to be a three-story brick building containing classrooms, offices, a laboratory, and an assembly room. Jesse M. Wheelock of Albuquerque was chosen as the architect in 1890 after an open call for proposals, and the building was completed at a cost of $26,000.