This is the official page of the exhibition "The Sword - Form and Thought", to be held at Deutsches Klingenmuseum (German Blade Museum) in Solingen, from September 2015 to February 2016.
The exhibition will be dedicated to the European sword of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, exploring its cultural meaning and its role as a weapon. It will highlight important aspects of the sword, such as:
- principles for geometric design and details of functional properties - outlined for every sword on display;
- the art of fencing and original fencing manuals;
- the wide variety of forms and types.
Uniquely, the display of historical weapons will be accompanied by works of selected contemporary swordsmiths, interpreting the theme "Xiphos - penetrating light".
Special events to held during the period of the exhibition include:
- HEMA workshop weekend with well known fencing teachers;
- an international, interdisciplinary conference on academic sword research;
- a sales show featuring custom sword makers, production companies, and purveyors of HEMA equipment.
- events for kids on a regular basis.
The board of curators consists of:
Dr. Barbara Grotkamp-Schepers, Klingenmuseum Solingen
Dr. Isabell Immel, Klingenmuseum Solingen
Lutz Hoffmeister, Klingenmuseum Solingen
Peter Johnsson, Swordsmith, Uppsala
Sixt Wetzler, Researcher, University of Tübingen