Avenida Alem 1253 Bahía Blanca Argentina 8000
The National University of South is the largest national university in southern Argentina. Its motto is Ardua Veritatem, which means "through the difficulties to the truth".The university was founded on January 5, 1956, and absorbed what had been the Technological Institute of South, a former National University of La Plata affiliate established in 1946. Located in the city of Bahía Blanca, the school became the seventh in Argentina's national university system.HistoryThe Instituto Tecnológico del Sur was created on October 9, 1946 by Provincial Act No. 5051, and it began its activities under the academic dependence on the National University of La Plata. In 1947, the Nation and the province Buenos Aires signed an agreement that stated that both of them would supply the funds for the operation and maintenance of the institute. On February 12, 1948, the incumbent president, Juan Domingo Perón, appointed Dr. Miguel López Francés as President of the University, who was in charge of adopting the necessary measures for the organization thereof. The official inauguration ceremony of the ITS was held on February 20, 1948. The category of university was granted in 1950, however, it was cancelled in 1952, and it depended again on the Ministry of Economy of the Nation. The first graduate of the Institute was Engineer Nereo Roberto Parro, in 1953, who was a natural of the town of Tornquist. In 1955, after the fall of Perón's government, Professor Pedro González Prieto was appointed auditor of the institute, and proceedings before the national government began for the institute to become a national university. After the studies carried out by an advisor committee appointed by the Executive Power, the creation of the Universidad Nacional del Sur was approved by decree law No. 154, dated January 5, 1956.